Friday, February 22, 2013

Child Labour (a.k.a. making a preschooler chore chart)

Now that he's 3, I've been pondering solidifying Booper's chore responsibilities and finally got around to it today. After looking at all of the "chore chart" ideas on Pinterest, I realized that most wouldn't work for us because I am dealing with pre-literate clientele and so pictures are a must. Sadly there weren't any easy tutorials that came with a free page of icons so I made some that, hopefully, at least one other person can make use of themselves. I apologize for the terrible picture as well, I still don't "get" this camera.



Here's how I made my chart:

1) Print out the chart and icons (sorry, for some reason the icons didn't show up in the presentation so I posted them separately). The chart has my son's name on it and I can't seem to edit it on the online document (which doesn't mean you won't be able to figure it out) but, honestly, it's easy enough to make your own on PowerPoint or any other program.
2) Laminate your pages or paste them to something more sturdy. I just so happen to have a rarely used laminator that I actually found this morning so I obviously HAD to use it.
3) Cut out the icon circles
4) Put little pieces of sticky velcro on both the job charts and icon circles
5) Tada, you're done

This could just as easily be done using stick on magnets or actually printing the icon circles onto magnet printer sheets. Really, using any other sticky things in your house would work too- heck sticky tack would do if you don't have a child who might try to eat it ;)


Booper's response to his new chore chart? "This is going to be good!" - gotta love little kids :)

Here's a closer look at the job icons too- not the best drawing, admittedly, but they'll do :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great idea! Maybe it's time I start a chart for Keyan as well. He's going to be four in May and definitely loves helping out with certain things. I'm not very good with Power Point so I may just old school it and do it by hand. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete